Wednesday, April 2, 2008

White Chili


So when Kris roused me out of a dead sleep on the couch to inform me it was my turn cook dinner, and he had already gone for a run, I knew there was no stalling left and I had to come up with something fast. TO- It's generally always my turn to cook dinner, but lately I actually do it once every 4 days. I mainly give orders from the couch "Cube the chicken, sautee with the onion and some garlic, put a pot of water on to boil for the vegetables. Which ones? I DON'T CARE!!! Pick one!" I apparently lose my cool pretty easily lately.
Anyway tonight I made Kris' Aunt Martha's White Chili which is so easy and so fantastic I thought I'd share it with you:
What you'll need:
3 chicken breasts
1 large onion, sliced thinly and then in half
Olive oil
1 1/2 cups of Chicken Broth
2 cans Northern White Beans
1 can Rotel Tomatoes (mild, medium or hot)
2 cans diced green chilis
1 cup of half and half
1 packet of Poblano Cream
As toppings, sour cream, shredded cheddar and cilantro.
Cube the chicken ( I halve the breasts and then cube) and brown in oil with onions
In a seperate pan simmer the chicken broth and white beans for 5 minutes simmering.
Tip- in order to keep the cream from curdling you'll need to transfer all to a large pot that has not been heated or a crock pot on low, I use the crock pot bc we don't normally eat it right away.
Add Rotel Tomatoes and chilis, continue simmering.
Once done, move chicken and onions into pot on low.
Mix 1 cup of half and half with Poblano cream packet, simmer for 5 minutes until thick.
Add bean/broth mixture to pot.
Add thickened Poblano Cream, stir all ingredients.

Spoon into bowls.
Add a dollop of sour cream, cheddar cheese and cilantro.
Serve, accept praise.
One other thing, you may not be able to find a packet of Poblano Cream in your grocery store, I import mine from Virginia. Harris Teeter carries. If you can't find it, instead of trying your luck at your local bodega asking in broken Spanish, "Donde esta Poblano Creme?" and being stared at like the crazy gringo lady that you are, I suggest taking a can of the Old El Paso Green Enchilada Sauce and warming it with 1/3 cup of half and half. You lose some of the smokiness from the poblano but it's a good substitute.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That looks so yummy, but I am afraid I wouldn't be able to find half the ingredients here! Hmmm, I wonder if I put some sauerkraut instead of the chilis...