Wednesday, April 30, 2008

High Fidelity

“Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do's and don'ts. First of all you're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing.
The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules. Anyway...”

I found Road Songs #1 today. For those of you who don't know I make my mix CD's in series: Road Songs 1-10, Country Tunes 1-7, Rock F*** Yeah 1-4, Acoutics, 1-7 and it goes on. Well anyway, Road Songs #1 was compiled in late 1999 mainly from songs I pirated off the Penn State network ("ARgh!"- pirate noise). It's really good, totally random and perfectly appropriate for driving long distances. And it's totally 1999. I love it. Should you want to take a trip, particularly back in time, I give you Road Songs #1. FYI you will find no Allman Brothers on any of my Road Songs mixes- too obvious.

1. When I Fall / Break Your Heart (Live)- Barenaked Ladies
2. Gold to Me - Ben Harper
3. Vincent Black Lightning 1952- Beth Wood
4. It's Alright- Big Head Todd and the Monsters
5. Travellin' Man / Beautiful Loser- Bob Seeger
6. Glycerine- Bush
7. Anna Begins- Counting Crows
8. Why (Live)- Annie Lennox
9. You Had Time- Ani DiFranco
10. Daydream Believer- Mary Beth Mazariaz
11. Don't Talk (Live) - 10,000 Maniacs
12. She Crawls Away- Hootie and the Blowfish

1 comment:

Christina said...

This is an excellent mix (Andrew makes fun of me because i still call them "mix tapes" but "mix CD" sounds stupid and "playlist" sounds cooler than I am).

Also, High Fidelity is in my Top 5 Best Movies of All Time with a Cameo by the Boss. Also in my regular Top 5 Movies.

Now what's this I hear about you flaking out on childbirth classes?