Here's the deal. When Kris was working for the Naval Surface Warfare Center, they used to send him to AUTEC on Andros Island all the time. Poor thing,I know.
Me: "Where are you going this week?
Kris: "Bahamas?"
Me: "Next week?"
"Hawaii."
"After that?"
"Bahamas."
"And then?"
"Alaska. Then back to the Bahamas. "
So anyway with him being gone, I'd try to learn as much as I could about each place he was going, especially Andros, because it's like a total mystery. As it turns out, there's only one place
to eat off base and it's Hank's Place. And they have the most endearing website. Well as it turns out in the summer of 2006 Hank's Place went up for sale. For 1 million dollars. And actually for what you get it's a steal. And the name of the bar is the Green Eyed Lady- hello? Was there ever a bar I was meant to own? Yes. It's at Hank's Place. So as the Election of Impending Doom settled in upon us we began to think about where we were going to land. I was firmly in favor of Andros Island. We'd live on post, in one of the beach apartments with tile floors, we'd sell two cars taking only the Cabby and the Jeep, put nearly all of our stuff in storage, taking only beach wear and fishing poles and books. And we'd be awesomely tan, merry beach people. I would get pregnant and take the shuttle to West Palm Beach for my pre-natal visits and a few weeks before I was due to give birth, I'd go stay with Aunt Artie and Uncle Jimmy in West Palm. And we'd raise this happy little beach baby. And at some point I'd figure out a way to buy Hank's Place, you know through charm or trickery or piracy profits. Kris went along with my rantings, but kept trying to remind me that it was a third world atmosphere I wa
s desperate to move to. This did nothing to dissuade me, in my mind it was very Joe Merchant and Kris confirmed it really was actually just like Joe Merchant. So that only ramped up my excitement, causing me to re-read all of my favorite bits outloud to him. Kris did due diligence to see what kind of opportunites were coming online at AUTEC, talked with people at NSWC about it. As it turned out nothing was happening at his level, or it would have required intense wrangling with NSWC and the Navy and being a contractor and it would have been a huge mess. So we moved to Savannah. Not a big let down.Until I went to check on Hank's Place last week. Price reduction. I only need $749,000 now. And actually I'm pretty sure I could offer them half a million. So, if you're thinking about it, and you can spare it, I need half a million dollars. Cash, check, PayPal whatever- we'll work it out. And you can come stay anytime you want.
Alternately, with the money I could purchase this house across from the lake from my grandparents. It's kind of a big deal, most houses get sold between family members and few are ever put on the market. (You should know that when I first saw this I thought it was OUR house, mistaking their green shore station for our paddle boat and they have a second dock too and the addresses are the same numbers - different order: it caused blood to pour forth from my eyes and my heart to stop, and I had already dialed my sister before the page finished loading. Do you smell that Dede and Baba? That's real fear.)
So either way. Please consider giving. Come to think of it, I know several of you blog readers who might find a hideout in the Bahamas necessarily convenient one day. Consider it insurance.
1 comment:
Let me get through this election and I am in.
Win...I become an investor as to plan my early retirement after four terms
Lose...I might just pack up and head down in November
Post a Comment