We saw Ben Folds on Friday night and let me tell you- it was a really great show. I have to be honest, I didn't really want to go AT ALL; because I imagined that he must have had like 8 albums since the ones I know and I would sit there like a big poser, secretly wishing and waiting for him to play songs I know. But Kris wanted to go and it was for his birthday- so fine. WELL was I wrong! (Happy to admit it, thank you.) We knew all of the songs except the 4 or 5 that were off of his new album- yet to be released. And even those were fantastic. First, I love it when artists ask if they can play a new song and then it's actually good- bonus. Second, from the last time I saw Ben Folds I knew that for the encore people would be chanting : Ben! Ben! Ben! Ben! and I thought that might be fun for the baby. I quickly used my powers of telepathy to let him know that this was not a signal that HE should come out and that he should remain where he is for another 18 weeks.
Third, the demographic of this concert was largely SCAD students and us. Which means they were betweeen 8-12 years old the last time I saw Ben Folds in concert. Yikes.
Fourth, the baby really dug the opening act, he was this very silly weird guy, Eef Barzelay; and I didn't realize he was in on the joke until the third song- I was having the hardest time not laughing at him. The art students didn't laugh at him even after it was obvious that he was self-parody; they have been trained to accept all weirdness and quirkiness at face value and not to judge; not a very ironic bunch.
Overall it was a really great time; and I recommend that you don't miss Ben Folds if he's coming to rock your suburb.
Ben was glad to see us there.
No comments:
Post a Comment