1. I took 20 shirts to the dry cleaners.
2. I took a giant bag of clothes and two suits to Blessingdales thrift store for donation.
3. I went to the UPS store to mail packages.
Number three is the big deal, I have been in possession of other people's things for way too long and yet my anxiety over the post office has prevented me from going there. Long story short, I worked from home for about six months in 2003 and during that time became afraid of people in crowded places and germs. The worst two offenders seemed to be the movie theater and the post office. In both places I could hear the people behind me breathing or chewing and it would send me over the edge. I have probably seen 3 movies in the theater in the last 5 years because of this; and been to the post office maybe twice. So here I've been driving around the last 4 months with these things ready to go in the backseat of my car thinking, "Ok today is the day, I'll go today." And each time courage and will power failed. Kris let this go on getting more and more frustrated, and finally said, "take them to the damn UPS store" WHOA, WHAT? "That gorgeous new store, in the brand new shopping center, that no one seems to ever go in to? I can take them there?!" His brilliance knows no bounds. So today I rejoiced in the sterility of my local UPS store and I can now take passengers.
**It should be noted that I have great friends and each time I talked to them I pointed out that I was planning on mailing their stuff, they were very gracious and thought I was being overly weird about it. But I would wake up at night gasping, thinking "Z.'s knife! I have to mail it back!"; and then I would debate my self worth, adjust points scored to self accordingly and fall back asleep liking myself a little less.
From Z, after I called myself the biggest deadbeat friend ever for holding hostage his Henckels knife:"DEADBEAT! Seriously do not worry about that damn knife..."
and Warren C said, "How dare you hoard my can opener and UVA windbreaker? You are a bad, bad person. I mean, I've been crying buckets here because you're a klepto...umm I mean because they've been "temporarily misplaced."
But I do I think it is a bit klepto to hang on to people's stuff like that, even if it is a different mental disorder that causes you not to mail stuff, but I don't want to be a klepto. I am brand new, burdens lifted, free to be me, reborn!
And just to further illustrate how much I fear the post office, check out the gorgeous easter baskets I made for my nephews last year- they are still upstairs.
That candy's probably not any good anymore
No comments:
Post a Comment