A friend in our small group in D.C., Josh R. told us this one night when the conversation had turned to angels. His parents were missionaries and he grew up in both Africa and Arlington, Va. Anyway, when he was very young his mom was out jogging in Arlington along the railroad tracks and saw a man sort of hiding off to the side of the tracks. As she got closer he moved further into view. She prayed, "Lord send me your angels to protect me," and when she ran by him their eyes met, but he didn't move. Later that night, she saw on the news that another woman had been raped and beaten there. Josh's mom went to the police, told them that she thought she could identify this man. Well she did, and had to testify at his trial and all of that. Afterwards, before he was transferred to prison and still in jail in Arlington (or Alexandria, I forget.) she went to see him. He agreed to see her and she asked him, "I saw you that day and I know that you saw me, but why did you leave me alone?" and he said incredulously, "How could I have done anything to you with those two huge blacks guys running next to you?
When I pray for God's protection over Capt. Martyn, Lt. Josh and Sgt. Chris I ask for those guys. I imagine Michael Clark Duncan riding shotgun in Martyn's humvee and Ving Rhames walking next to Josh while he's on patrol. And in my mind they've got those huge angel wings Ben Affleck and Matt Damon had in Dogma and they can shield those guys from anything. So if someone asks you to pray for their soldier, or you are so inclined to pray for all of them, I encourage to ask God to send his biggest, baddest angels. He's got them and he'll use them.
No comments:
Post a Comment