Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Magnolia Fever

Oh. My.
Older Southern women are nuts. Totally nuts. But in the most delightful way.
So the Savannah Tour of Homes is gearing up to begin tomorrow and this building is just teeming with Steel Magnolias all decked out in pretty scarves and cheerful colors. And bringing the crazy.
I'll need to do a better job chronicling this evidence to prove it to you. But here's what's happened in the last 10 minutes.
P.B. stopped me in the hall and stroked my cheek and complimented me on my complexion.
A.P. stopped me to tell me just how handsome my husband is and aren't we lucky to be married to good looking men, it's a tough job but someone has to do it. To which she also added that one of my great admirers said to mention "how cute my legs are." (WHAT?!) You should also know that I suspect A.P.'s best friend told her this and I'm not going to dwell on the fact that he is both the church's resident eccentric and nudist. I'll just take the compliment.
Then I ran into Mrs. C. (whom I love dearly) I gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek to which she feigned surprise and said, "What a loving girl you are, such a good girl." I told her who I was looking for and we scanned the room, me like a hawk, her: very absently with a vacant smile and a slight shrug. When we couldn't find her I gave her another hug "Oh! Such a loving hug!" and as I left the room she calls out, "Stephanie! You have made my day." Aww.
All of it adorable. However, this is 3 out of 3 interactions. If I had stayed in the room any longer there is no doubt this would have continued. It's like the wonderful land of make believe. Or Stepford.

Ok I love it. And I'm never moving.
UPDATED- the phone just rang:
Me: "Good afternoon Christ Church, this is Stephanie, how can I help you?
M.B. "Oh! Stephanie! How are you old girl?!"
Me: "I'm fine, how are you Miss Marjorie?"
M. B. : "Oh! You knew who it was! So smart! Well I think I just might make it. It was touch and go for a while. I'm having a nightmare of a secretarial problem- oh whatever. Listen sweethaaart, who do I talk to about deductions for mah taxes?"
Me: "That would be Joan."
M.B. "Oh Joan! Of course Joan- she knows EVERYTHING!"
Me: "She isn't here just now, but let me put you into her voice mail."
M.B. "Oh! Thank you dearest!"
Me: "bye!"
M.B: "Bah!"
4 out of 4.

No comments: