Thursday, August 21, 2008

Warning:Maureen- there is a picture of a cat in this post.

So I'm hideous for not posting lately. I'm tired people, seriously I'm whupped. Ben has decided he will only sleep from 11pm-3:45 am and then it's my job to entertain him until Days of Our Lives interrupts the Olympics coverage. Thankfully he sleeps through Days or I'd worry about Stefano's influence. So yeah, I'm tired. And not that funny. I've realized that general misery is funny- reread my posts from March- suffering equals hilarity. Exhaustion is the sad middle sister to misery's funniness, a pale shadow of the real thing.

Back to the Olympics, I swore I was boycotting the games, but Bravo TV has been really short on content lately so I betrayed my principles out of boredom. "Hmm, you wonder, what noble cause is she so concerned about to forgo such sporting wonders? Darfur? Tibet? Taiwan? Communism in general? Chinese manipulation of the dollar in currency markets?"

No, not at all. (I'm mean yes, I care, I'll sign a petition, whatever) But this time it's personal. The Chinese killed my cat. In the pet massacre of 2006. You might argue that it was the government or even the pet food company that had such effed standards that PLASTIC finds it's way into cat food and forces a beautiful sweet little thing into a horrifying death of kidney failure; but I blame them all, down to underaged pee wee gymnasts and tiny flying lip synchers.


But like I said, Bravo has been pretty weak, and heavy on Date My Ex, so I had to watch something. Violet will forgive me, I'm sleep deprived and I don't even have her to fall asleep on my feet anymore.

I'm so over the Olympics now though, I'm so sick of looking at armpits.

Tired-must go, will write more later. Today was sufficiently hideous enough that it should prove to be funny.I just don't have the energy to type it out..

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be funny... even when you are saying how unfunny you feel, it is so funny!

Jodi said...

Hi Steph (Liz's Aunt Jodi here)
You are still funny - I love reading your writings. Thanks for the humor. Makes my day. I have a pair of sunglasses that look like your picture from the other day. I also have chewed up measuring cups and spoons. You would think that I'd learn to put everything up, but no, I conveniently forget.
I have lived your life with little babies who are determined to make us zombies. You are stronger and wiser than Ben. Be the wise mother that you are and sleep even if he's awake. You can do it - take a few deep breaths - close the right eye - peak at Ben with your left - now close it. Breath - in - out - in - out slowly. Now open your eyes - he's still looking at you right - but it's been two minutes and nothing bad happened did it? I am not suggesting that you take an hour long nap, but a power nap will do you both good. You've got all that great baby stuff to keep him safe - put him in the bouncy seat / or in the rocking shaking porta crib thing. Put the puppy in the crate and everyone (everything) is safe for a few minutes. Oh - and since I'm telling you what to do - go for a walk (yes it is a pain in the butt to put the stroller out the door and then load the baby and all of his stuff), but you will like it. Start small, go down the road then turn around. Sit in a chair in the yard while Ben's watching the air go by. Tomorrow do it all over again. Ah young motherhood, I miss those days.

Laura said...

I remember the pure exhastion of the first few months. It gets better. I promise! And you get used to the exhastion. It's like $4 for a gallon of gas. The shock value wears off and all though you're still tired you learn to function.

Zack said...

Great Post Steph! Jean will never forget those types of nights...I guess I shouldn't say she was scarred for life, but...

Hang in there! Your sense of humor will only get sharper with the numbness of sleep deprivation.

Anonymous said...

Probably your best work yet. I guess I'll read on even without the shout-outs.