Sunday, January 6, 2008

Brady's little brother....Brody

Deep breath. So on Sunday on our way to Marietta we saw 7 dogs on the side of the road trying to cross. 2 big dogs and 5 puppies, well of course I got hysterical and made Kris call the highway patrol. They said they would send someone out. We talked about how weird it was that the last time we were near that same spot in Macon we saw a basset hound running down the road and had to call the state patrol again. We didn't think of it again until we were on our way home and we wondered what might have happened to that little pack of dogs. We scanned the other side of the highway and luckily didn't see anything that would make me cry. Well then I turned my head and there on our side of the highway were three puppies. Needless to say I got pretty hysterical, made all kinds of wild promises about getting them and bringing them to the Humane Society, and I made such a good case of how I would capture them I even convinced Kris to go along with my plan. We pulled off the next exit, went to a gas station and bought hot dogs and beef jerky and headed back on a puppy rescue mission. We pulled over and approached the dogs, all three were very fearful but as soon as they smelled the hot dogs they came closer. They little black puppy ran right up and started snatching the hot dogs right out of my hand, I grabbed him and gave to Kris who ran him right to the car. The other two dogs were bigger, older and way more scared. No amount of coaxing (and then chasing) could get us within 3 feet of them. Finally out of food we had to give up, I also realized that even if we could grab them the Humane Society would put them down because they just weren't adoptable.
We headed home with the puppy in the way back. About halfway home we pulled over bc he was making noises like he wanted to come to the front. I laid him on my pillow and he PASSED OUT. Laying on his side he slept like he hadn't slept in days.


We stopped at the Pig and bought food, flea and tick shampoo and some chew bones. He freaked out when we put the leash on him, but we brought him in, he ate, and agreed to a bath- plain shampoo bc the flea bath said to not use on dogs 6 weeks or younger and we though bc he's so small he would be too young. He submitted sweetly and loved being wrapped in a towel. And that was fine. Until a tick crawled out on my arm. We couldn't get him in the sink fast enough. Too young or not he was getting that flea and tick bath. This dog was so cold he just loved being in the towel and fell asleep like a baby. He went to bed thumping his tail.
The next morning we came downstairs and he thumped his tail, Kris picked him up and Brody nuzzled his neck and we took him out to pee. He freaked a little on the lead but came in happily. We put him back in the cage and it went south. I approached the cage three minutes later and he growled at me, I shushed him and went to pet him , he kept growling but allowed me to pet him, I went to pick him up and he snarled and snapped at me. Kris and I could not figure out this Britney-like swing of personality.
He growled at Kris all day long and spent it in his cage. We had no idea what we might do now. Well Kris went up to shower and when he came down the puppy had peed, pooped and threw up. And now all he wanted was love, lots of love.
When I came home I couldn't believe he was curled up next to Kris on the couch after hearing him growl into the phone all day.



Well he did some major diarrhea, and threw up some worms- that explained things- we realized that he only growled when his tummy hurt. We also learned if we threw a towel over him while he was growling and we picked him up he ceased all growling immediately.
By Thursday he stopped eating, we could get him to lick ice cubes to stay hydrated but that was about it. Both Thursday and Friday morning he woke up perkier than the day before. He still wasn't eating though by Friday night- not even bacon.
We called Doc Lester and in his perfect Savannahian accent said, "Nohw that sounds lahke a puppy we NEED to see."
So we brought him in Sat. had him treated for worms and found out -devastatingly- that he tested positive for Parvo. Parvo normally kills dogs in 48-72 hours if they don't have aggressive re-hydration treatment. Well since he didn't have a fever and he looked fairly alert, he was drinking and eating, ( he had eaten some rice and hamburger meat that morning- which he threw up all over me) he thought we might be able to get him through - or he was getting over it on his own.
It's now Sunday and he's awesome, he woke up playful, devoured his food, played, peed outside. And was a ball of puppy love all day. As the day wore on we began to be concerned that while he was peeing outside he hadn't pooped since Thursday. BREAKING NEWS- he just pooped. Big, solid, healthy poop!
We're not keeping him. I kept saying that if I didn't give him up Kris would never let me rescue another dog- well it turns out that he won't let me ever rescue another dog- period. Hmmmmm. We'll see how this turns out- he'll make a great dog for somebody.

No comments: