Friday, April 24, 2009

It's kind of a good idea

So we are working on new strategy to keep Brody from going CRAZAAAY when guest arrive at the door (if you've been to our house, you know.. if you've delivered pizza to our house, you know). He is usually nice and polite if he knows you.. but only if he knows you.

Earlier in his life, the spray bottle worked wonders for keeping him from chewing things he shouldn't have, and for keeping him away from Steph when she was pregnant alone with him, trapped on the couch.. he would harass and attack her constantly.



So now we are trying it on him for when the doorbell rings. Dog starts to go nuts, he gets sprayed in the face with water. He quickly retreats, or associates the guest with impending punishment, and settles down, until his next opportunity.. at which point he gets nailed again. I think it is working, but...... there are a few unintended consequences.

So our security system, phone, tv and internet were all provided by the same company, which has now gone bankrupt.... (Look for a new home phone number from us coming soon... grrr...) A salesman rings the doorbell.. he is from a competing home security company here to tell us how they can provide better services utilizing our existing equipment for less money.. Score.

So Brody goes nuts, jumping, snapping, poking nose in places it doesn't belong, jumping. 'Quick GET THE SPRAY BOTTLE' ... here I come running over, the salesman, trying to politely deal with the dog all by himself standing at the front door while I am off getting the spray bottle to douse the dog in the face with.

Salesman is fending off Brody's wild and inappropriate desire to greet him, here I come with the spray bottle.. spray spray..nothing... need to prime it.. spray spray.. SPRAY SPRAY SPRAY .. nailed Brody right in the face.. he quickly retreated and learned what was up... but in the crossfire, I'm pretty sure I sprayed my guest in the crotch with water... ooops... He played it off and assured me he didn't mind the dog's behavior...possibly hinting that he would rather have dealt with the dog's onslaught than have been sprayed in the crotch with water. He was wearing dark pants... so I guess it wasn't such a big deal...

4 comments:

Zack said...

Oh, the wild adventures of the Lynches! Some day (likely tonight) you'll have a drink and laugh about the time you squirted that random stranger in the crotch!
Crazy Southerners.

Heather said...

I love that!!!! That's hilarious! Troy and I are trying that right away!!! Anymore hints? Just spray the dog in the face when they start jumping at the new arrivals?

Kristopher said...

OR when they are doing anything else you don't want them to. It's a good way to make them comply without the trust issues of smacking them.

Lyda said...

Love it. I'm getting a dog just to be able to try that method out.