Friday, January 23, 2009

Confessions of a new and irresponsible parent

So Gulfstream cut my overtime to save money, and I had half the day off today. Steph was working and had a lot to get done, so I thought I'd stop by the office and give her a break, take Ben for a walk and what not. By the way, I have to tell you that Ben is an awesome baby. That guy just chills wherever he goes... He was ridin' in his stroller, and he would put his arms up with his hands behind his head, just relaxin' and scoping out the squirrels and birds..

We decided to head over to City Market, and maybe see if he was interested in the horses that hang out there waiting for the next carriage ride.. they were a bit too static, I guess.. he didn't care. Wild Wing Cafe caught my eye, so I decided I'd try some wings and have a beer... got a guiness.. and of course It's Savannah, which means you can drink beer outside, so we were sitting at the outside tables. Then the wings, yeah.. good stuff.



Ben was looking bored and went for a napkin. He loves paper (most babies do), so I thought he could entertain himself while I was eating and gave him one from the pile. I'm munching down my 'Slayer' flavored wings, and then Ben starts munching down on his napkin... double-take .. NO! He's eating the napkin, going to town.. tearing it to shreds with his two lone razor sharp bottom front teeth. My first instict of course was to remove the paper from his mouth, but guess what.. I have SLAYER sauce on my hands.. not going to work.. so I'm frantically wiping my hands off on the next clean napkin I have, and I then stick my finger in his mouth.. he starts making gagging and coughing noises (because my finger is in his mouth), and I'm trying to fish out the paper, hoping he doesn't inhale it. In my mind, I had high hopes that it was going to be just like fishing the random bits of goodness that the dog gets from time to time.. baby mouth is much harder. The waiter came by after the brief episode was over, asking if everyting was OK, not looking him in the eye, I told him he was fine, and just got some napkin in his mouth... All in all, I got it out and maybe he swallowed a bit of napkin... but at least he didn't eat any SLAYER sauce.

5 comments:

Joan said...

I thought you looked a little guilty when you came back to the office....but Ben's a good sport about almost anything!

Kristopher said...

Indeed. He even settles down pretty quick after we stick that bulb syringe up his nose.

jean said...

Nothing like taking a baby to a bar! Good times!

Kristopher said...

hey, it was a restuarant, and we were outside!

J.remy said...

Hey Kris,
Glad Ben is ok and all of that. It has occurred to me, though, that by being overly cautious in regards to Ben's hot sauce consumption, you are missing a golden opportunity to be the Earl Woods, or, dare I say it, Richard Williams of competitive eating. You even have an advantage over the aforementioned fathers, in that they had to wait until their children were old enough to walk and move their arms around before beginning the training, whereas with competitive eating, the madness can begin as soon as the child is able to shovel stuff into his mouth. In my opinion, the hot wing eating portion of this sport has the most potential for growth, since one has to deal with the physiological effects of capsacin, in addition to the pedestrian difficulties of overcoming the body's natural revulsion to rapid over-consumption. So, I say, give Ben the hot sauce, maybe a dab or so every other day at this stage; maybe a drop or two in his formula; let him build up his tolerance. When he moves to solid food, make sure every meal is covered in the stuff. Let him think: "this is normal, this is just how food is". Then when he is 18, let him out into the world with the skills to pursue a career that could net him literally hundreds of dollars.